Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Europe Goes to the Polls

From June 10 to 13, Europeans will go to the polls to elect the members of the European Parliament. While this is an EU-wide event, it looks as though specifically national issues are on the minds of many voters. In quite a few cases, especially that of France and Germany, the vote could well be a protest against increasingly unpopular governments in Berlin and Paris.

Just as important is the role nationalist parties could play across the continent. There's a growing fear that these "extreme right-wing" parties could become more and more influential in the Parliament. On the one hand, I have to say that I don't particularly favor these parties, but on the other, I find myself supporting the spirit, if not the letter of many of their followers. And on this point, I plan to post a longer piece in the near future on conservatism on the continent compared with that in Britain, the US and Canada. I'll also give a review of the results from Europe following the election.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home